The next Mardi Gras takes place on February 17, 2015..
Mardi Gras (literally ‘Greasy Tuesday’) is what the French call the Shrove Tuesday. Along with the name came the tradition, by French-born Catholics in the United States, especially in New Orleans. Mardi grass is an indescribable and world-famous festival, on this day, the whole town wears purple, green and gold and celebrates, a celebration that Consists of music, parades, elaborately decorated floats, and of course, crowds of people. This day has become a holiday, and the parades on Bourbon Street and the French Quarter of New Orleans have become a popular stop for tourists.
History & background of Mardi Gras
in 1857, the first parade in New Orleans was held. After 18 years of tradition, the Shrove Tuesday was named in 1875 as a holiday in New Orleans. Despite of all wars and other problems, this festivity is celebrated every year. There were people on their parade even after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The parade is carried out by the krewes. They take care of the Organization and also the elaborate cars. The official colors of Mardi Gras are purple, gold and green. Each color has its own meaning. It is purple for Justice, gold for the power and green for hope. This event is known all over the world and attracts thousands of tourists every year in the largest city in Louisiana in the United States. The number of inhabitants of New Orleans doubled on that day due to the extra visitors party vacationers.
Expiration of Mardi Gras
On 6th February, the events is launched with the traditional masked ball, this is held by the oldest Krewes. Three weekends before Mardi Gras is the Krewe you Vieux parade instead, this parade is known for the excellent bands that go with, and two weeks before the final event you can count at least a parade per day. The real Mardi Gras falls is mostly between early February and early March. On this day, several parades such as the Zulu parade start parade or the Rex.
Chains with cheap, colored beads are thrown during the parade, you would often see women on bead chain lift the T-Shirt and show up topless. Some visitors call the event “international show your boobies day”. The ball that would take place at the Marriott represents the official end. Although the celebration continues on the streets and in the clubs and bars until the next day which is the Ash Wednesday. Apart from the freedom of movement of many visitors, Mardi is reminiscent of grass carnival parades in Europe, such as the Carnival in Cologne or in Brazil, like the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Top 10 insider tips for the Mardi Gras in New Orleans
- Early booking is recommended if you don’t want to pay outrageous prices for hotel rooms.
- The early bird catches the worm”, this saying applies also to the Mardi Gras Parade. To get a great place from which you can see the car well, so you should arrive at least four hours in advance.
- Dressing up is a must! Make use of your wardrobe more than ever today by wearing the sexiest or funniest costume! Today is clearly the day!
- Of course, the things that are thrown from the car, to be fished. Whether pearl necklaces, candy or stuffed animals all may be caught and kept. The exclamation “throw me something, Mister!” boosts the chances to get something thrown at you. Caution however, look out for incoming cars before trying to get the stuff already lying on the ground.
- For the same reason you should not also run in the street, some wagons have not the best brakes!
- As far as the food is concerned, you should bring along some sandwiches or make reservations for some before hand.
- Over the years, people on more innovative ideas have come to have the best view of the parade. Do not be surprised therefore, if you see that people sit on ladders. Always watch where you walk, so you dont get knocked over the head by something.
- It is advisable to make plans on where you would meet up with your family and friends after the parade, because some people might get lost or miss their ways trying to catch up with others.
- With that kind of gathering, there is sure to be those who cant keep away from other people’s stuff, so make sure you bring along those things you really need and nothing more. After taking photos with your phone and digital cameras, make sure you put them right back into your bags. Jewelries and other valuables of such nature shouldn’t be on your body.
- Although most shops have closed on Mardi grass, it is worth before or after Shrove Tuesday through the city to wander and browse around.
Mardi Gras videos
Mardi Gras Parade
How it works with the pearl necklaces at Mardi Gras
Pictures of the Mardi Gras Festival
Arrival to the Mardi Gras in New Orleans by 2015
Arrival by plane to New Orleans
In approximately 14 hours and usually with a stopover you arrive from all major airports in Germany, the Switzerland and Austria in New Orleans at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.